Backcountry Tuna Tartare
Ingredients: packet of tuna (with herb & garlic flavoring), 1 avocado, 1 packet of olives, crackers and cheese (optional)
- Open tuna packet
- Slice up the avocado and mix it in to the tuna packet
- Slice up olives and add to the packet
- Pick up a fork and eat it straight from the packet or on top of crackers with cheese
Backpacker's Tea Bag Oatmeal
Ingredients: packet of oatmeal, tea bag of choice, freeze-dried fruit of choice
- Boil water with your choice of tea bag (chai is usually a go-to)
- Once tea water is steeped, add it to the oatmeal packet
- Add freeze-dried fruits like raspberries, strawberries, or apples - they will rehydrate in the oatmeal and bring it to the next level!
Backpacker's Beet & Kohlrabi Couscous
Ingredients: beets, carrots, kohlrabi, couscous, dried pesto mix, oil of choice, pine nuts
(At home prep):
- Shred beets, carrots, and kohlrabi. Dehydrate.
- Boil 1.5 cups of water with 0.5 cup dehydrated veggies and 1 cup couscous
- Add dried pesto mix and 2 tbsp of oil (put in a 0.5-1 cup Nalgene)
- Top with pine nuts ( or pine cones :) )
*Special shout out to Mike & Isaac for co-creation
The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich (that will power you up the toughest climbs)
Ingredients: Everything bagel, eggs, applewood smoked bacon (thick), roasted red pepper hummus, avocado, white or red onion, Crimini mushrooms, red bell pepper, garlic clove, hot sauce of choice (optional)
- Cut bacon slices in half and cook on medium-high heat until desired crispiness is achieved.
- Reserve half of the bacon fat - add onions and garlic, then saute together until fragrant and translucent. Add bell pepper and saute for a few minutes followed by mushrooms until no moisture is left.
- Reduce heat and add eggs. Toast bagel while eggs are cooking, stir until eggs are fully cooked.
- Spread avocado on top of toasted bagel slice and hummus on the bottom bagel slice (absolutely crucial).
- Add bacon to avocado side and the vegetable egg scramble to the hummus side. Apply hot sauce (if desired).
- Join bagel slices & enjoy with a cup of coffee and ideally with a view of the forest or your camping pals
Tater Tot Foil Dinner
Ingredients: frozen tater tots, pre-cooked sausage or meat, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, shredded Mexican cheese, ranch seasoning packet
- Place tater tots on a piece of aluminum foil
- Add your choice of pre-cooked meat - chicken sausage or bratwurst
- Add veggies - peppers, onion, and zucchini
- Add cheeeeeeeeeese & ranch seasoning packet on top
- Close up the foil and cook directly in the fire